News & Media

Brad Gilbert set for big guns

27 December 2011, by World Tennis Challenge

BRAD Gilbert will end 17 years of retirement by playing in Adelaide’s World Tennis Challenge in two week.

The man formerly in charge of Andre Agassi, Andy Murray and Andy Roddick will dust off his racquet to headline Team International for the January 10-12 event.

Gilbert was at this year’s WTC as coach of Japanese rising star Kei Nishikori and had no hesitation agreeing to play in the event when organisers came calling.

“I said `sure’ then I was told who was playing. These guys like (John) McEnroe and (Henri) Leconte play a lot,” Gilbert said.

“Especially Mac who is playing unbelievably well for his age.

“I have a hit of doubles every once in a while but I haven’t played a singles match since I retired.

“So, hopefully, I can hit a few balls straight and get ready in the next few weeks.”

Gilbert will remain in Australia for the season-opening Grand Slam in Melbourne where he’s hoping Bernard Tomic will thrill the crowd. “Fingers crossed. I would love to see Tomic have a big run at the Aussie Open because it’s so much fun in their home country,” he said.

“I said it last year: ‘This kid will be top-10 soon.’ He’s so mature for his age.”

Ticket information

Online

Ticketek.com

Phone

13 28 49

Agency

Bookings can be made at Ticketek agencies across Australia and New Zealand

Author: Reece Homfray, Advertiser